Sunday 30 September 2012

1500 Skaven Tournament List - Doing Well So Far!

So for whatever reason my local Games Workshop has Fantasy tournaments at 1500 points. The tournaments are nothing big, with a maximum of 10 people who pay $5 each to play 3 games on a Sunday where the money paid is split between the winner and runner-up in Games Workshop vouchers, but they're a good way to get to know the players around the store, get some practice in and have some fun.

Photobucket
Skaven aren't OP, they just like their cheese.

So this is what I'm currently getting painted up for these local tournaments:
Lords - 260pts.
Grey Seer - Power Stone - 260pts.

Heroes - 167pts.
Chieftain - BSB, Storm Banner, Shield - 122pts.
Warlock Engineer - Doomrocket - 45pts.

Core - 508pts.
20 Clanrats - Shields, Musician, Standard Bearer, Warpfire Thrower - 172pts.
20 Clanrats - Shields, Musician, Standard Bearer, Warpfire Thrower - 172pts.
40 Skavenslaves - Musician - 82pts.
40 Skavenslaves - Musician - 82pts.

Special - 264pts.
32 Plague Monks - Standard Bearer, Plague Banner - 264pts.

Rare - 300pts.
Doomwheel - 150pts.
Doomwheel - 150pts.

TOTAL - 1499pts.

Now before anyone bitches at me: no, it's not like your retarded meta list. Why? Because 2 Doomwheels are better than 1 Hell Pit, because I don't need another tar pit with a unit of 40 Clanrats and because Warpfire Throwers are cool. I know the Clanrats will not hold anything up or beat anything in combat, but they're not meant to. They're not even meant to be in combat at all, just like all my characters. They act as bunkers for those characters for protection against Canonballs, missile weapons, spells and so on. They're there so I can take those Warpfire Throwers. And to be honest, 40 Clanrats are never going to beat anything in combat either. If I wanted another tar pit I'd take more slaves.

I'm not saying units of 40 Clanrats are bad, I'm just saying that I don't need them in my list and the units of 20 suit how I play and the tactics I use. What? I use different tactics to other players on the Internet?


Photobucket
That's fucking insane!


With that out of the way, the list has been performing quite well in the few test games I've played with it thus far. It has been tweaked a little, but I think it's about done for now. The latest two games I had the other day were against High Elves and Warriors of Chaos. I tabled my opponents in both games, coming out both times with a pile of dead Slaves and the unit of Plague Monks, but the rest of the army was otherwise untouched.

Well, that was a lie. In the second game, there was quite the highlight. I hit my opponents Chaos Knights and brought them down to a man with Impact Hits. He managed to hold his ground. During the second round of combat he passed all 3 armour saves caused by Grinding Down the Foe, failed To Wound with his Knight, but then his horse hit and wounded, my Doomwheel failed its armour save, lost its shit and ran away. It was chased down by the Knight who went 12" to my fairly sad 9" with 3D6 movement.

Thoughts? Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment