Monday 4 February 2013

BUG Aggro: Post-GTC Update!

I said I'd post a version of the list up after I was a bit happier with it. It must be said that it's still not completely done, but after a whole lot of struggling I finally managed to get it to a point I was happy with it. There are some things I'm still iffy about, but more on that after the deck...

Land:
4x Breeding Pool
2x Drowned Catacomb
4x Golgari Guildgate
2x Hinterland Harbor
4x Overgrown Tomb
2x Simic Guildgate
4x Woodland Cemetery
(22 total)

Creatures:
4x Experiment One
3x Strangleroot Geist
4x Lotleth Troll
4x Dreg Mangler
2x Corpsejack Menace
4x Deadbridge Goliath
3x Master Biomancer
1x Prime Speaker Zegana
(25 total)

Planeswalkers:
1x Garruk, Primal Hunter
(1 total)

Spells:
4x Rancor
3x Ultimate Price
1x Essence Harvest
2x Increasing Savagery
(12 total)

60 total

Sideboard:
2x Appetite for Brains
4x Duress
3x Simic Charm
3x Golgari Charm
2x Abrupt Decay

15 total

First all, the things I'm a little so-and-so about are the exact numbers of certain cards. I'm not sure if I want 4 Master Biomancers or 3 or 2. If I ran 2 I could take a 4th Strangleroot Geist and then add either another land, Zegana, Garruk, Corpsejack, Essence Harvest or Savagery. Really I think it'd be between Zegana, Garruk and the Corpsejack, but you get the idea: there are a lot of good (in my eyes, anyway) options. I could also just not add any of them and take some ramp instead.

So sexy, yet so many moneys...

The Essence Harvest is also pulling me back and forth. I love the card every time I play it, especially in a deck so capable of creating some huge monsters as this one, and I really don't think I'm willing to part with it yet. As of right now, I'm going to have to say it's staying. It's not something often used, which I like, and whenever I use it it just seems so powerful. Honestly, I actually want a second one, but I'm not sure what good that would do for the deck.

All your souls are belong to us

 Anyway, onto the deck itself, and how it's supposed to work:

It's loosely based on Bryan Kibler's BG Aggro. And by that I mean it's meant to follow the same general concept as opposed to being a copy/paste with my own changes made to it, although a number of cards are similar between the decks.

So for those of you not familiar with how this style of aggro is meant to work, it's meant to (if I can remember correctly) establish an early presence like most aggro decks, but also benefits from being far more resilient than other (generally red) aggro decks as well thanks to a lot of Regeneration, Undying and generally bigger creatures. I do believe it's slightly slower because of a larger number of 4+ drops, but its resilience more than makes up for it. And for those that want it, green has ample access to mana acceleration.

I've splashed blue as well because I think Simic are fucking cool, and also because Master Biomancer is just too good to ignore. Zegana just sweetens the deal.

That aside, I think the deck should be fairly resilient, and I really like the way Experiment One works with a Master Biomancer already on the board. But I don't like how the Biomancer and a Strangleroot work together, so I guess by that point of the game Strangleroot Geists are just going to become Lotleth food. I'm considering even dropping the Geist count to 2 because of this, but we'll see.

Oozes are people too!

Last of all, the Sideboard is mostly aimed at control, because control gives me the most issues.

Anyway, the deck is pretty much done. I think (and hope, really, really hope) that it's just up to the stage where it's down to ironing out the BUGs...

As usual, feel free to comment. Criticism more than welcome.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete